April 23, 2024 09:21 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rajnath Singh visits Siachen, carries out assessment of security situation | Government employee shot dead in targeted attack in Kashmir's Rajouri | 'Congress will take away your homes, jewels': PM Modi ups his attack amid row | Centre orders sampling test of spices from Everest, MDH after ban in Hong Kong, Singapore | 'Illegal, I challenge it': Mamata Banerjee on Calcutta HC cancelling 24,000 jobs in SSC scam probe
Coronavirus lockdown: Flights, train services unlikely to resume after May 3

Coronavirus lockdown: Flights, train services unlikely to resume after May 3

India Blooms News Service | @indiablooms | 19 Apr 2020, 07:46 am

New Delhi/IBNS: Train and flight services are unlikely to resume after May 3, the period till which the second phase of lockdown in India has been announced to combat against the deadly coronavirus spread, media reports said on Sunday.

All the airlines have been told not to take bookings after May 3.

On Saturday, a Group of Ministers (GoM) during a meeting chaired by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh at his residence expressed concern over resuming trains and flights, sources told NDTV.

A final call would be taken after the Union Health Ministry gives its inputs in this regard.

Internation, domestic flights and passenger trains were suspended last month to stem the spread of COVID-19, days before Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the nationwide lockdown.

In fact, hours after Air India announced booking opening on its website May 4 onwards, the Indian government strictly clarified that no decision to open domestic or international flights have been taken.

"The Ministry of Civil Aviation clarifies that so far no decision has been taken to open domestic or international operations. Airlines are advised to open their bookings only after a decision in this regard has been taken by the Government," Civil Aviation Minister Hardeep Singh Puri tweeted.  

The country of 1.3 billion people is presently passing through the second phase of lockdown which was initially announced by Narendra Modi on March 24 and was later extended up to May 3 by the Prime Minister with India continuing to witness a surge in Coronavirus cases. 

The COVID-19 pandemic has claimed the lives of 488 people so far and infected 14, 792 in India.

 


 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.