April 17, 2024 13:43 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Ram Navami: 'Surya Tilak' illuminates Ram Lalla idol's forehead in Ayodhya Ram Temple | Ram Navami: Pooja performed at Ayodhya's Ram Temple for first time since Ram Lalla's 'Pran Pratistha' | Whole country knows Modi is a champion of corruption: Rahul Gandhi | EC bans Randeep Surjewala from campaigning for 48 hours over derogatory remarks against Hema Malini | LS poll: MK Stalin trains guns at PM Modi in his poll campaigns, calls him 'vasool raja', 'anit-Tamil Nadu'
India-China face-off at Doklam resolved, no change in status quo: MEA

India-China face-off at Doklam resolved, no change in status quo: MEA

India Blooms News Service | @indiablooms | 18 Jan 2018, 10:03 pm

New Delhi, Jan 18 (IBNS): Refuting that there is any change in the status quo over the Doklam issue, Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Thursday said the face-off situation was resolved following diplomatic discussions between India and China.

In response to media queries about the situation in Doklam, MEA Official Spokesperson  Raveesh Kumar said: “Our attention has been drawn to some reports that question the accuracy of the position stated by the Government in respect to the situation in Doklam."

There were media reports recently that China is carrying out infrastructure development like construction of helipad and trenches and other structures in the disputed region.

Kumar said: "It may be recalled that last year, a face-off situation that had arisen in the Doklam region, was resolved following diplomatic discussions between India and China, based on which both sides arrived at an understanding for the disengagement of their border personnel at the face-off site."

"Subsequently, in response to repeated questions about any change in the status quo at the face-off site, Government had stated that there was no basis for such imputations," he said. 

"Government would once again reiterate that the status quo at the face-off site has not been altered.  Any suggestion to the contrary is inaccurate and mischievous,” Kumar added.

The long standoff between India and China reached a peaceful solution earlier this month as the latter agreed to stop road-construction activity across the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Tuting area of Arunachal Pradesh.

The Indian side had also offered an olive branch by returning the two earth excavators and other equipment seized from Chinese workers in the region last month.

The past few months witnessed military standoff  at the Bhutan-India-China tri-junction in Doklam, a disputed territory claimed by both Bhutan and China, where the Indian Army personnel had earlier reached to stop China from building a road.

China had accused India of trespassing into its territory and demanded withdrawal of troops leading to a prolonged standoff.

While India and Bhutan had claimed that the land belongs to the tiny Himalayan kingdom and that the Indian troops are there at the request of Bhutan, China earlier warned that it will not accept any dialogue till Indian soldiers pull out from Doklam. 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.