June 14, 2024 05:24 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Priyanka Gandhi Vadra's poll debut might finally happen, likely to contest bypoll from Wayanad: Reports | Atishi, Raghav Chadha meet Arvind Kejriwal in jail; directed to resolve water, power crisis | A day after taking oath, Sikkim Chief Minister's wife resigns as MLA | Centre reappoints Ajit Doval as NSA, PK Mishra to Principal Secy post | All gates of Puri's Jagannath Temple opened after 4 years, BJP fulfills Odisha poll promise
ZEE-Sony receives merger approval from BSE, NSE
ZEE-Sony
Image Cr: Unsplash

ZEE-Sony receives merger approval from BSE, NSE

| @indiablooms | 30 Jul 2022, 11:06 am

Mumbai/IBNS: Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) and National Stock Exchange (NSE) on Friday granted approval to Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd (ZEEL) regarding its proposed merger with Culver Max Entertainment Pvt. Ltd. (previously Sony Pictures Networks India Private Limited).

The approval from both the bourses marks a firm and positive step in the overall merger approval process, a company statement said.

The approvals permit the company to proceed with the following steps in the overall merger process.

The composite scheme of arrangement remains subject to applicable regulatory and other approvals.

Zee and Sony had signed definitive agreements for merger of ZEEL into Sony Pictures Networks India Limited but Invesco and OFI Global China Fund LLC, which together hold about 17.9 per cent stake in ZEE, had opposed the deal.

Last year, Invesco had sought an EGM for the removal of ZEEL MD &CEO Punit Goenka and appointment of six directors.

However, the ZEE Board had then proposed a merger deal with Sony to counter the move.

The matter went to National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT), National Company Law Appellate Tribunal (NCLAT) and Bombay High Court.

Later, Invesco Developing Markets Fund backed the merger and decided not to pursue its requisition for an extraordinary general meeting for the removal of Goenka.

When the deal went public in Sept. last year, it was disclosed that Sony would invest USD 1,575 billion and control 52.93 percent stake in the partnership. Zee will hold the remaining 47.07 percent stake.

The merger of Sony and ZEE would make it the second largest entertainment network. It will include 75 channels, two streaming platforms and boast of 28 percent Indian TV viewership.

(With UNI Inputs)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.