August 21, 2026 01:00 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence | India hits back at Pakistan: Structures outside High Commission demolished in Delhi | ‘Don’t daydream about my bedroom’: Kangana Ranaut fires back at Ramdev over ‘Gen Z’ row | Jadavpur University erupts at midnight: ABVP-Left student groups clash over meeting, BJP-CPI(M) leaders trade barbs | Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change
Hong Kong Fire
44 died due to the deadly fire that broke out in the buildings in Hong Kong. Photo: X page videograb

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing

| @indiablooms | Nov 27, 2025, at 11:14 am

The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.

The blaze, which has been burning for more than 18 hours, remains uncontrolled in parts of Wang Fuk Court, according to local media reports. The fire spread rapidly through bamboo scaffolding surrounding seven residential blocks.

Police have arrested three construction company executives on suspicion of manslaughter linked to the use of flammable materials, including mesh and plastic sheets.

Senior Superintendent Eileen Chung Lai-yee of the New Territories North regional headquarters told the South China Morning Post that investigators believe “gross negligence” allowed the fire to spread quickly, resulting in heavy casualties.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by India Blooms (@indiablooms)

More than 40 injured residents remain in critical condition in hospitals across the city.

Witnesses described scenes of panic as the fire tore through the high-rise complex. An 82-year-old woman surnamed Wu told BBC Chinese she had been playing mahjong with friends when the blaze broke out.

“I stayed here to watch what was going on. I told my son I would only be at peace when the fire calmed down,” she said.

Chinese President Xi Jinping expressed condolences over the loss of life and called for “all-out efforts” to extinguish the blaze and reduce further casualties, state-run Xinhua reported.

Taiwan President Lai Ching-te also offered condolences, urging prayers for those affected and expressing hope that the missing would be located safely.

The U.S. Consulate General in Hong Kong and Macau said on X that it was “deeply saddened” by the tragedy.

Emergency crews continue to battle the blaze as rescue operations expand across the affected blocks.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.