August 21, 2026 11:38 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence | India hits back at Pakistan: Structures outside High Commission demolished in Delhi | ‘Don’t daydream about my bedroom’: Kangana Ranaut fires back at Ramdev over ‘Gen Z’ row | Jadavpur University erupts at midnight: ABVP-Left student groups clash over meeting, BJP-CPI(M) leaders trade barbs | Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change
Iran-US
The Strait of Hormuz is a strategic, critical, busy and narrow chokepoint between Iran and Oman, connecting the Persian Gulf to the Gulf of Oman. Photo: Wikimedia Commons/NASA

Hormuz shock: Iran reimposes shipping curbs just 24 hours after reopening

| @indiablooms | Apr 18, 2026, at 04:51 pm

Iran’s military on Saturday announced the reimposition of restrictions on ship movements through the Strait of Hormuz, citing what it described as “repeated breaches of trust” by the United States in the wake of a fragile ceasefire.

An Iranian military spokesperson, quoted by CNN, said Tehran had earlier permitted a limited number of oil tankers and commercial vessels to transit the strait. However, he accused the US of continuing “piracy and maritime theft” under the guise of enforcement actions, according to remarks carried by the semi-official Fars News Agency.

In a separate development, the UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) reported that a tanker navigating the Strait of Hormuz came under fire from two gunboats allegedly operated by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

The incident occurred approximately 20 nautical miles northeast of Oman. UKMTO said the vessel and its crew were safe, adding that an investigation into the episode is ongoing.

The situation marks a sharp reversal within 24 hours. On Friday, Iran’s Foreign Minister Seyyed Abbas Araghchi had announced the reopening of the strait, allowing commercial vessels to pass through designated routes during the ceasefire period.

“In line with the ceasefire in Lebanon, passage for all commercial vessels through the Strait of Hormuz is declared fully open,” Araghchi said in a post on X.

Reacting to the development, US President Donald Trump said Iran had agreed not to shut the strait again, describing it as a step to prevent its use as a “weapon against the world.” However, he noted that a US naval blockade would remain in place until a broader agreement with Tehran is reached.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.