August 21, 2026 04:47 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station over CJP protest crackdown, targets Amit Shah | CJP school tour turns chaotic in Jaipur: Cars vandalised, stones pelted as Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP ‘goons’ attack | Vande Mataram row: Kangana Ranaut slams Sharmila Tagore, says ‘come out of Hindu-Muslim mindset’ | Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence | India hits back at Pakistan: Structures outside High Commission demolished in Delhi | ‘Don’t daydream about my bedroom’: Kangana Ranaut fires back at Ramdev over ‘Gen Z’ row | Jadavpur University erupts at midnight: ABVP-Left student groups clash over meeting, BJP-CPI(M) leaders trade barbs | Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences
Virat Kohli
Image Credit: Instagram/Indian Cricket Team

Virat Kohli speaks on ODI captaincy sacking row, says 'was informed 1.5 hours before Test selection'

| @indiablooms | Dec 15, 2021, at 07:44 pm

Mumbai/IBNS: Breaking his silence for the first time since the One Day International (ODI) captaincy row broke out, Virat Kohli on Wednesday said he was informed about the change in leadership in 50 overs cricket one-and-a-half hours prior to the selection of Test squad for South Africa tour.

Addressing a press conference, Kohli said, "I was contacted one-and-a-half hours before selection for Tests. The chief selector discussed with me the Test squad.

"Before the call ended, I was told that the five selectors have decided that I won't be ODI captain anymore. There was no prior communication about this."

Kohli said his decision to quit T20 captaincy was accepted well by the Indian cricket board (BCCI), whose chief Sourav Ganguly had earlier said he had requested the 33-year-old to not step down.

"When I told the BCCI that I want to give up T20I captaincy, it was accepted really well. There was no hesitancy. I was told that it was a progressive step. I had informed at that time that I would like to lead in ODIs and Tests.

"The communication from my side was clear but I had also informed that if the office bearers and selectors don't think I should lead in other formats, then that is fine," the Indian Test skipper said.

Contradicting some media reports, Kohli said he will be available for the upcoming ODI series against South Africa where Sharma will be leading the side in limited overs cricket.

Kohli clarified he had never asked for any leave, rejecting the reports.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.