August 21, 2026 04:42 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station over CJP protest crackdown, targets Amit Shah | CJP school tour turns chaotic in Jaipur: Cars vandalised, stones pelted as Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP ‘goons’ attack | Vande Mataram row: Kangana Ranaut slams Sharmila Tagore, says ‘come out of Hindu-Muslim mindset’ | Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence | India hits back at Pakistan: Structures outside High Commission demolished in Delhi | ‘Don’t daydream about my bedroom’: Kangana Ranaut fires back at Ramdev over ‘Gen Z’ row | Jadavpur University erupts at midnight: ABVP-Left student groups clash over meeting, BJP-CPI(M) leaders trade barbs | Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences
Novak Djokovic
Image Credit: Instagram/Novak Djokovic

Pleased and grateful, says Novak Djokovic after Australian court overturns visa cancellation order

| @indiablooms | Jan 11, 2022, at 01:13 am

Top tennis player Novak Djokovic said he was "pleased and grateful" that an Australia court overturned the order of cancelling his visa, fuelling the 34-year-old Serbian sportsman's ambition to win the 21st Grand Slam title in the upcoming Australian Open.

Hours after his detention by the Australian Border Force was lifted by the court, Djokovic returned to his playing court and tweeted, "I’m pleased and grateful that the Judge overturned my visa cancellation. Despite all that has happened,I want to stay and try to compete @AustralianOpen I remain focused on that. I flew here to play at one of the most important events we have in front of the amazing fans."

"For now I cannot say more but THANK YOU all for standing with me through all this and encouraging me to stay strong."

The top seed was detained at the airport last week after he arrived in the country to play the Australia Open which begins in a week's time.

The Australian Border Force had claimed Djokovic's visa was cancelled after he failed to provide appropriate evidence for meeting the entry requirements to play the major tennis event amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Reportedly, Djokovic had travelled to Australia after receiving medical exemptions from the strict requirements to enter into the country.

Media reported that the nine-time Australian Open champion had applied for a wrong type of visa for a person flying to Australia with a medical exemption.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.