August 21, 2026 07:30 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station over CJP protest crackdown, targets Amit Shah | CJP school tour turns chaotic in Jaipur: Cars vandalised, stones pelted as Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP ‘goons’ attack | Vande Mataram row: Kangana Ranaut slams Sharmila Tagore, says ‘come out of Hindu-Muslim mindset’ | Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence | India hits back at Pakistan: Structures outside High Commission demolished in Delhi | ‘Don’t daydream about my bedroom’: Kangana Ranaut fires back at Ramdev over ‘Gen Z’ row | Jadavpur University erupts at midnight: ABVP-Left student groups clash over meeting, BJP-CPI(M) leaders trade barbs | Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences
IPL 2020

BCCI and Chinese phonemaker Vivo suspend partnership for IPL 2020

| @indiablooms | Aug 06, 2020, at 09:33 pm

Mumbai/IBNS: The Board of Cricket Control in India (BCCI) and Chinese phonemaker Vivo, which was the main sponsor for the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020, have suspended their partnership, media reports said.

"The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and vivo Mobile India Pvt Ltd have decided to suspend their partnership for Indian Premier League in 2020," BCCI said in an online statement on Thursday, according to media.

Amid the clamour to boycott Chinese phone-maker Vivo as the main sponsor for IPL 2020, BJP's ideological parent Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) and Congress had also asked the Indian cricket board to reconsider its sponsorship deals for the cash-rich tournament.

The Swadeshi Jagran Manch (SJM) had said the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)'s decision to go ahead with Vivo as the main sponsor of IPL contradicts the "current mood of the nation".

"Whole world is boycotting China, IPL is sheltering them. They should understand that nothing is above nation," SJM co-convener Ashwani Mahajan had said.

The controversy had erupted after the BCCI decided to hold the 13th edition of the IPL, a mega T20 tournament, in UAE between September and November this year.

Senior Congress leader and spokesperson of the party Randeep Singh Surjewala had earlier tweeted, "Wither #AatmaNirbharBharatAbhiyan . Welcome back Cricket-China-profiteering and double standards."

The call for boycotting Vivo gained pace weeks after the Narendra Modi government boycotted 49 Chinese apps including the very popular TikTok, in the wake of the deadly clash between Indian and Chinese military personnel at Galwan Valley in eastern Ladakh in mid-June.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.