August 20, 2026 07:35 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Brij Bhushan Singh
Image Credit: Facebook/Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh

Wrestling body chief refuses to resign even as Delhi Police files sexual harassment charges against him

| @indiablooms | Jul 12, 2023, at 04:04 am

New Delhi/IBNS: Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh, the benched chief of the country's Wrestling Federation and accused of sexually harassing female wrestlers, has refused to step down despite the chargesheet filed against him by the Delhi Police.

On being asked the question regarding the same by Times Now, the six-time MP not only refused to respond but also misbehaved with the reporter slamming a car door on the mic.

Asked about the charges against him, the Wrestling Federation chief said he would "speak in court" and refused to give any "masala" to the media.

According to reports, the Delhi Police has filed a 1000-page chargesheet against Singh after a detailed investigation that included the questioning of over 100 people.

Among all, 15 of those questioned testified in favour of the seven wrestlers who accused the wrestling body chief of sexual harassment. However, many of them were the wrestlers' friends and families.

Singh has been charged with sexual harassment, criminal intimidation, stalking, wrongful confinement, and criminal intimidation.

A second FIR (First Information Report) has been filed against him on the basis of allegations by a minor wrestler, which was registered under the POCSO (Protection of Children from Sexual Offences) Act. He faces three and seven years in jail under the two cases.

However, the Delhi police have requested a cancellation of the POCSO case, citing a lack of evidence.

Earlier, Singh had denied all allegations and said he would step down only if Prime Minister Narendra Modi wants him to.

The wrestlers, including international medal winners Sakshi Malik, Vinesh Pgoat, and Bajrang Punia, held a massive protest demanding action against the WFI chief earlier this year.

In April, they hit the streets, holding a sit-in at Jantar Mantar till they were evicted after several run-ins with the Delhi Police.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.