August 17, 2026 08:42 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
India-China

Would like to see disengagement in remaining areas of East Ladakh: India on standoff with China

| @indiablooms | Apr 09, 2021, at 05:00 am

New Delhi/IBNS: India on Thursday said it would like to see disengagement by Chinese troops in the remaining areas of Eastern Ladakh which would lead to restoration of peace with Beijing.

"As I had outlined last week, we would like to see disengagement in the remaining areas which would lead to de-escalation in Eastern Ladakh and that would hopefully lead to restoration of peace and tranquillity and provide conditions for progress of our overall bilateral relationship," Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson Anurag Srivastava said during a media briefing.

"During the meeting on March 12th, on the Working Mechanism for Consultation and Coordination WMCC, both sides had agreed to convene the 11th round of Senior Commanders’ Meeting," he said.

"When I have something more to share on this, I will certainly do so," he added.

The 11th round of India-China military-level talks will take place on April 9 in which issues like the stand-off with the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) is likely to be discussed.

The status quo on both sides of Pangong Tso has been restored to the pre-April 2020 positions but some Chinese soldiers continue to be present in the Gogra-Hot Springs area.

Indian and Chinese sides last met on Feb 20. The meeting continued for 16 hours and both the parties concluded that Pangong Tso disengagement offered them a "good basis" to resolve all outstanding issues at friction points in  “a steady and orderly” manner.

The two countries have been holding military-level talks for nearly a year now after tensions escalated along the LAC.

On June 15 last year, 20 Indian soldiers were killed in the line of duty in a physical clash at the Galwan Valley in eastern Ladakh.

Troops of the Indian Army and China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) started disengaging from the LAC after continuous efforts of negotiations at the military and diplomatic level.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.