August 17, 2026 04:54 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit | Shehzad Poonawalla doubles down on BJP exit, urges party to accept resignation | Tarapith tragedy: Seven pilgrims killed as hotel goes up in flames before dawn | Bengal STF nabs suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar
Photo courtesy: Facebook/Vinesh Phogat

Vinesh Phogat accuses Delhi Police of withdrawing women wrestlers' security, cops deny charge

| @indiablooms | Aug 23, 2024, at 05:55 am

New Delhi/IBNS: Olympian Vinesh Phogat has accused the Delhi Police of withdrawing the security cover of the women wrestlers who will be testifying against former Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) president Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh on Friday in connection with sexual abuse allegations.

The Delhi Police has, however, denied the charge.

"Delhi Police has withdrawn the security of the women wrestlers who are going to testify against Brij Bhushan in the court," Phogat wrote on X.

Responding to the former wrestler's tweet, the Delhi Police has clarified that the concerned personal security officers (PSO) reported late to duty after the force requested Haryana Police to take over the security responsibility.

"The security provided to the wrestlers hasn't been withdrawn; it was decided to request Haryana Police to takeover the responsibility in future since the protectees normally reside there," said Deputy Commissioner Of Police New Delhi on X.

"The assigned Delhi Police PSOs misunderstood this decision and got delayed in reporting today. The situation has been rectified. Security cover continues," the post said.

Meanwhile, the wrestlers approached a Delhi court which directed the city police to immediately reinstate the security cover.

The court was hearing applications filed by senior advocate Rebecca John appearing for the wrestlers, claiming that their security was withdrawn on Wednesday night. It directed police to file a detailed report by Friday regarding the reasons for the withdrawal of the applicants' security.

Vinesh Phogat, who recently hit headlines over her disqualification from the Paris Olympics, led a long-running protest last year against Brij Bhushan Singh, who was then a BJP MP.

The protesting wrestlers demanded his resignation and sought the dissolution of the WFI. The WFI denied all allegations against its president.

After the intervention of the Sports Ministry, all WFI activities were suspended and Assistant Secretary Vinod Tomar was sidelined.

The police had filed a First Information Report (FIR) and later a chargesheet against Brij Bhushan Singh.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.