August 17, 2026 03:30 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit | Shehzad Poonawalla doubles down on BJP exit, urges party to accept resignation | Tarapith tragedy: Seven pilgrims killed as hotel goes up in flames before dawn | Bengal STF nabs suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan
Vijay Mallya

Vijay Mallya contempt case: Supreme Court to hear arguments on quantum of sentence

| @indiablooms | Nov 30, 2021, at 07:24 pm

New Delhi/UNI: The Supreme Court on Tuesday said that it will hear the arguments at 2 pm on the quantum of sentence against fugitive businessman and liquor baron Vijay Mallya, in connection with a contempt case.

A bench of the Apex Court, headed by Justice Uday Umesh Lalit, said, "We will hear the arguments on the quantum of sentence at 2pm today."

India is trying to extradite Mallya from the United Kingdom, where he is currently staying.

The founder of now-defunct Kingfisher Airlines was convicted by SC in 2017 for failing to disclose the transfer of 40 million USD to his children's accounts. The Court had in August last year dismissed his review petition in the case.

The Bench said that since Mallya's lawyer appears in each hearing, they will continue with the arguments on the point of quantum of sentence against the fugitive businessman, even though the convict is currently not present in the Court.

The Ministry of External Affairs has reportedly told Solicitor General Tushar Mehta to remain present before the top court of the country at 2 pm.

Mallya was an accused in a bank loan default case of over Rs 9,000 crore. The Court's 2017 order had come on a plea by a consortium of banks led by the State Bank of India (SBI), which had said that Mallya had allegedly transferred USD 40 million received from British firm Diageo, to his children in "flagrant violation" of various judicial orders.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.