August 17, 2026 06:22 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Chinese App Ban

TikTok, WeChat and 59 other Chinese apps permanently banned in India

| @indiablooms | Jan 26, 2021, at 10:06 pm

New Delhi/IBNS: TikTok, WeChat and 59 other Chinese apps, banned by the government in June 2020, will be permanently inaccessible in India, the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has decided, said media reports.

According to media reports, the government has sought information from all the companies that were banned about the data collected and how they were used.

The permanent ban came after the government was not satisfied by the responses submitted by the companies.

“The government is not satisfied with the response/explanation given by these companies. Hence, the ban for these 59 apps is permanent now," a source was quoted as saying by Mint.

With this, the other apps banned last year, nealy 200, also lost the chance to make a return to the Indian market. This includes the hugely popular smartphone game PUBG Mobile, which tried to make a comeback in November by launching a new, India-only version, PUBG Mobile India with only Indian staff.

However, the response by MeitY to an RTI filed by GemWire had stated that  there had been no formal discussion between PUBG/ Krafton and the government body, reported Gadget 360. This response along with other responses to the RTIs filed previously had revealed that the apps return to India is uncertain, it added.

With India seeing a permanent ban, The future of hundreds of people employed by ByteDance (Tiktok's parent company) in India also becomes uncertain as the company's India team had been retained after the ban on TikTok and employed in global operations, stated the report.

“We are evaluating the notice and will respond to it as appropriate. TikTok was among the first companies to comply with the government of India directive issued on June 29, 2020. We continually strive to comply with local laws and regulations and do our best to address any concerns the government may have. Ensuring the privacy and security of all our users remains to be our topmost priority,” a TikTok spokesperson told Mint.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.