August 17, 2026 11:31 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
CS Assault Case

Supreme Court nixes Delhi police petition in CS assault case

| @indiablooms | Jul 01, 2021, at 11:18 pm

New Delhi/UNI: The Supreme Court on Thursday dismissed a Delhi Police plea challenging the High Court order directing it to supply the copy of statement of a witness to Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia and 11 other MLAs in the 2018 alleged assault case of then-Chief Secretary Anshu Prakash.

Upholding the High Court's decision, a bench led by Justice DY Chandrachud told the police that it is the basic principle of natural justice and common sense that the accused must have the copy.

"It might be a political hot potato, but legally it is nothing," the bench also comprising Justice MR Shah said.

Police pointed out that this is a question of statement not being recorded under 161, and it is an important matter with ramifications elsewhere.

However, the bench junked the plea stating this will not have ramifications.

The criminal case is in connection with the alleged incident on the night of February 19, 2018, in which Chief Secretary Anshu Prakash was allegedly assaulted by AAP MLAs in the presence of Kejriwal at the Chief Minister's residence, where he had been called for a late-night meeting.

In this case, Kejriwal, Sisodia, and nine other AAP MLAs were granted bail in October 2018.

The other two MLAs, Amanatullah Khan, and Prakash Jarwal were granted bail earlier by the high court.

Following the alleged incident, the IAS officers association and the Delhi government had a bitter tussle accusing each other of sabotaging the progress of the state.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.