August 20, 2026 03:17 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Photo: Video grab

Sonam Wangchuk under CBI lens: Foreign funding, Pakistan trip probed amid Ladakh unrest

| @indiablooms | Sep 25, 2025, at 04:29 pm

Leh: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has launched an inquiry into alleged violations of the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act by the Himalayan Institute of Alternatives Ladakh (HIAL), founded by educationist and activist Sonam Wangchuk, who has been at the forefront of the statehood movement in Ladakh, media reports said.

Officials said the probe began two months ago and includes scrutiny of Wangchuk’s February 6 visit to Pakistan, according to an NDTV report.

The action follows the Ladakh administration’s August decision to cancel HIAL’s land allotment, which had triggered protests, with local groups calling it an attack on Ladakh’s rights and an attempt to silence voices demanding statehood and Sixth Schedule status.

The probe coincides with accusations that Wangchuk incited violence during recent protests, said the report.

On Wednesday, four people were killed and at least 80 injured, including 40 police personnel, after clashes broke out amid a curfew in the region.

Wangchuk, who had been on a fortnight-long hunger strike, withdrew his protest after two fellow strikers were hospitalised on Tuesday night.

Soon after, the Leh Apex Body’s youth wing called for demonstrations that spiralled into arson and vandalism, with mobs attacking the BJP headquarters, the Hill Council office and vehicles.

Police and paramilitary forces used teargas to restore order.

The Ministry of Home Affairs accused Wangchuk of making “provocative statements” and misleading people with references to Arab Spring-style protests and Gen Z movements in Nepal.

“The demands on which Wangchuk was on hunger strike are integral part of the discussion in HPC. In spite of many leaders urging to call off the hunger strike, he continued with the hunger strike and misleading the people,” it said in a statement.

It stressed that the Centre has been holding multiple rounds of talks with the Leh Apex Body and Kargil Democratic Alliance through the High Powered Committee (HPC), sub-committees and informal channels, but alleged that “politically motivated” elements were trying to derail the dialogue.

Meanwhile, Congress councillor Phuntsog Stanzin Tsepag was booked for allegedly delivering a provocative speech at the hunger strike venue on Tuesday.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.