August 17, 2026 09:53 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Sitalkuchi

Sitalkuchi firing: Bengal CID summons six CISF personnel including a deputy commandant

| @indiablooms | May 10, 2021, at 08:50 pm

Kolkata: West Bengal Criminal Investigation Department (CID) on Monday summoned six Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) personnel, including four constables, one inspector and a deputy commandant, in connection with its ongoing probe into the Sitalkuchi firing incident, sources said.

The incident happened during the recently concluded assembly election, sources said.

According to sources in the state probe agency, a notice under section 160 of the CrPC has been served to the CISF personnel, who reportedly opened fire in 'self-defense' outside a polling station in Cooch Behar's Sitalkuchi, and they have been asked to appear before the investigators at CID headquarters at Bhabani Bhavan on Tuesday (May 11).

Earlier on Apr 10, the CISF opened fire outside polling station no. 126 in Sitalkuchi after a local mob had reportedly attacked the polling booth and tried to snatch jawans' rifles.

Four locals, who were claimed to be TMC supporters, died in the firing.

Based on the reports filed by Cooch Behar DM and SP, DIG of Jalpaiguri Range and Special Police Observer Vivek Dube, the Election Commission already clarified that the Central force had fired bullets 'purely in self-defense'.

The state government has already formed a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the matter while shortly after taking oath as West Bengal Chief Minister for the third consecutive term, Mamata Banerjee removed Cooch Behar SP Debasish Dhar from the post.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.