August 17, 2026 05:50 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Tamil Nadu
Image Credit: Pixabay

Scrap order allowing 100 pct occupancy at movie theatres: Centre tells TN govt

| @indiablooms | Jan 07, 2021, at 02:37 am

New Delhi/IBNS: Hundred per cent occupancy in cinema halls cannot be allowed yet, the Union Home Ministry told the Tamil Nadu government on Wednesday.

This comes after the AIADMK government of the state lifted the restrictions on movie theatres last week.

The Union Home Ministry on Wednesday asked the Tamil Nadu government to scrap its order making complete seating allowance.

In its last order, the Union Home Ministry had allowed 50 per cent occupancy in movie theatres outside containment zones as part of the phased unlock process. 

A letter from the Union Home Secretary Ajay Bhalla to the Tamil Nadu government said the Ministry has extended those guidelines till Jan 31.

"State/UT governments shall not dilute these guidelines... in any manner and shall strictly enforce the same," the letter read, pointing to the ministry guidelines.

The letter also cited a Supreme Court order that asked states to enforce Covid-19 preventive behaviour, including wearing of masks and maintaining social distancing.

"In view of the above, the GoTN (Government of Tamil Nadu) is requested to immediately issue necessary order to bring their guidelines in line with the MHA guidelines dated 28th December 2020 and inform compliance to this ministry," the letter read.

Tamil Nadu, which had opened cinema halls with 50 per cent occupancy in November, will have its assembly elections later this year.

They allowed 100 per cent occupancy a few days back following requests from filmstars to increase the capacity ahead of Pongal festival.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.