August 17, 2026 12:42 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Pegasus
Image: Pixabay

SC asks Modi govt to respond to Pegasus allegations, says 'won't compromise with national security'

| @indiablooms | Aug 17, 2021, at 08:45 pm

New Delhi/IBNS: The Supreme Court Tuesday asked the central government to respond to the snooping allegations though said it would not ask the Centre to disclose the details, media reports said.

The top court said it would form a committee to investigate the allegations but only after getting a response from the Centre.

"We don't want to compromise with the security of the nation or interfere with Defence Ministry protocols. We will not ask you to disclose... But the issue is simple. Individuals here are submitting that interception of their phones happened and this can be done by permission of competent authority. So what is the problem with the competent authority to file an affidavit before us, without compromising national security and defence issues?" the top court said as quoted by NDTV.

Government lawyer Tushar Mehta argued, "We have nothing to hide from the court. We will place everything before the court mandated committee that will be set up. But it cannot be put out into public through affidavits. Tomorrow, web portals will say military resources were used illegally. Let us have a committee and we will place all the information before it."

Senior advocate Kapil Sibal, who appeared for the petitioners Editors Guild of India and journalists N Ram and Sashi Kumar, said, "We also don't want national security to be compromised, just want the government to answer whether it used Pegasus or not."

The next hearing will take place after 10 days.

Indian politics was rocked last month after several media reports including The Hindu claimed Israeli spyware Pegasus was used to snoop on influential people in various countries including India.

It was alleged that the Pegasus spyware, which can only be sold to a vetted government, was used to snoop on high profile individuals including Congress MP Rahul Gandhi, Union Ministers Ashwini Vaishnaw, Prahlad Patel, Trinamool Congress (TMC) MP Abhishek Banerjee, former political strategist Prashant Kishor.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.