August 17, 2026 02:17 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Jammu Kashmir
Image Credit: UNI

Poonch gunfight resumes, terrorists holed up

| @indiablooms | Oct 17, 2021, at 08:59 pm

Jammu/UNI: The gunfight resumed between security forces and a group of heavily armed terrorists in Mendhar belt of Poonch district in Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday afternoon.

According to official sources, the joint team of Army, police, para military troops along with elite commandos of Indian Army was carrying the search operation in Nar Khas forests of Mendhar when the terrorists fired at them.

"The firing was effectively retaliated and the encounter resumed," they said.

"The area is cordoned and the terrorists are holed up in the operation," said a police official.

In a week-long gunfight that started on October 11, so far nine Army personnel including two Junior Commissioned Officers have been killed.

As per sources, the security forces have detained two persons for allegedly providing logistics support to the terrorists.

"During searches on the intelligence inputs, two persons have been detained for providing food and shelter to a group of heavily armed terrorists," sources said.

They said, the duo is being questioned for more details.

The traffic on the highway close to the encounter site is also suspended.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.