August 20, 2026 06:30 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Odisha tragedy

Odisha three-train accident leaves 288 dead, more than 800 injured, rescue ops ends

| @indiablooms | Jun 04, 2023, at 02:03 pm

New Delhi/IBNS: The toll in the horrific three-train accident in Odisha's Balasore mounted to 288 with around 803 people injured, officials said Saturday after rescue operations ended in the country's deadliest train accident in 20 years.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi reached the site of the railway mishap on Saturday and inspected the ground situation.

PM Modi assured that action will be taken against those responsible for the incident.

The Twitter handle of the Press Information Bureau said: " PM @narendramodi at the site of #BalasoreTrainAccident where he reviewed the ongoing relief works. He interacted with local authorities, personnel from the disaster relief forces and railways officials."

The crash involved the Bengaluru-Howrah Superfast Express, the Shalimar-Chennai Central Coromandel Express, and a goods train.

The accident occurred when one train rammed so hard into another that carriages were lifted high into the air, twisting and then smashing off the tracks. Another carriage had been tossed entirely onto its roof, crushing the passenger section.

Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw said a high-level committee will be set up to investigate the train crash.

Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has declared one-day state mourning in view of the horrific train crash.

Vaishnaw has announced a compensation of Rs. 10 lakhs for the families of those who have died, Rs. 2 lakhs for those seriously injured, and Rs. 50,000 for those who sustained minor injuries in the accident.

PM Modi too expressed his distress over the accident and announced a compensation of Rs. 2 lakhs for the family of the dead and ₹ 50,000 for the injured from the PM's National Relief Fund (PMNRF).

As many as 48 trains have been cancelled following the horrific accident, 39 diverted and 10 trains have been short-terminated on the Howrah-Chennai main line in the Kharagpur division of the South Eastern Railway.


 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.