August 17, 2026 08:01 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Ambani's security scare
Image credit: @CPMumbaiPolice Twitter handle

Mumbai police chief Param Bir Singh removed amid scare over Ambani's security lapse

| @indiablooms | Mar 18, 2021, at 03:39 am

Mumbai/IBNS: Mumbai's police chief Param Bir Singh was removed from the post on Wednesday and was replaced by Hemant Nagrale.

Param Bir Singh, moved to Home Guard, left his office shortly after the announcement by Maharashtra Home Minister Anil Deshmukh.

This comes after the National Investigation Agency (NIA) had arrested Maharashtra Assistant Police Inspector Sachin Vaze for his alleged role in placing an explosives-laden SUV car near industrialist Mukesh Ambani's house last month.

The investigation has become a huge embarrassment for the Shiv Sena-led Maharashtra government with the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party accusing Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray of shielding Sachin Waze.

The officer was earlier moved out of the Mumbai crime branch to the Citizen Facilitation Centre (CFC) at the police headquarters.

The case involves a Scorpio car laden with 20 gelatin sticks found abandoned near industrialist Mukesh Ambani's residence in Mumbai's Carmichael Road on Feb 25. It carried a threat letter to Mukesh and Nita Ambani. 

A day later, the police learnt that the SUV was stolen and that its owner lived in Vikhroli, another part of the city.

The police had then recorded the statement of owner Hiren Mansukh, who was a spare car parts businessman. He had earlier reported the car got stolen. On March 5, the owner of the Scorpio was found dead.

On March 2, he had written a letter addressing Uddhav Thackeray, Anil Deshmukh and Mumbai Police Commissioner alleging harassment by police and journalists. Hiran had also pleaded for police protection and legal action against the intimidation.

In his letter, he had elaborated how the car was stolen and said that the police were harassing him.

He had told the police that he had done the interiors of the car owned by one Sam Muteb and had only reported the car's theft. He had not returned the car to its owner as he was not paid for the work, Deshmukh said.

Later the NIA probe revealed that Vaze had allegedly borrowed the SUV for around four months till he returned it on February 5, Hiran's wife stated.

The NIA, which took over the investigation from the Mumbai police, alleged that the number plate of the abandoned vehicle was found in a car that Sachin Waze was using.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.