August 17, 2026 01:19 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Kangana Ranaut
Image: Wikimedia Commons

Mumbai court exempts Kangana Ranaut from appearance, cautions against future absence

| @indiablooms | Sep 15, 2021, at 12:27 am

Mumbai/IBNS: A Mumbai court allowed actor Kangana Ranaut's plea seeking exemption from personal appearance for the day in a criminal defamation complaint filed by lyricist Javed Akhtar, according to media reports.

The court, however, warned that it will issue a warrant against her if she fails to appear on the next date of hearing on September 20, according to an NDTV report.

The actor's lawyer submitted a medical certificate as the matter came up for hearing in the court on Tuesday.

He told the court the actor had been travelling for the promotion of her film and has developed Covid-19 symptoms.
 
However, Javed Akhtar's lawyer said it is an orchestrated tactic to delay the case proceedings, the report said.
 
He further pointed out to the court that Kangana Ranaut has excused herself from making an appearance in the court for one reason or the other since summons were issued to her in February, 2021.
 
After hearing the lawyers of both the parties, metropolitan magistrate RR Khan allowed Ranaut to be exempted from appearance for the day and posted the matter for hearing on September 20.
 
Last Thursday, Bombay High Court quashed a plea by Ranaut seeking the quashing of the proceedings initiated by a local court in a defamation suit filed by lyricist Javed Akhtar.

Justice Revati Mohite-Dere had noted that there was no illegality or irregularity in the Andheri metropolitan magistrate's order.
 
Javed Akhtar, 76, has accused Kangana Ranaut of dragging his name during a television interview in which she claimed that a 'coterie' existed in Bollywood,
 
The interview was aired by a private television channel following the death of actor Sushant Singh Rajput in June last year.

In the defamation complaint filed in the magistrate's court in November last year, Akhtar said that Knagana Ranaut's defamatory statements damaged his reputation.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.