August 17, 2026 11:31 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Kulgam
Image: UNI

Mehbooba Mufti questions legitimacy of Kulgam encounter, asks govt to clarify

| @indiablooms | Jul 02, 2021, at 11:34 pm

Srinagar/UNI: Questioning the legitimacy of an encounter in which three militants were killed in south Kashmir district of Kulgam on Wednesday, former chief minister and Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) president Mehbooba Mufti on Friday said the government must come clean on the issue.

Mehbooba was reacting to allegation made by the family of one of the slain persons that their son, identified as Zakir Bashir, was killed outside their residential house and was not a militant.

The former chief minister said encounters occur on daily basis in J&K, but when legitimate questions are raised the security forces must be held accountable.

“The parents of the 17-yr-old minor killed in the Kulgam gunfight claim that he was an innocent civilian. GOI must come clean on these allegations,” Mehbooba wrote on micro-blogging site twitter.

The family members, according to a local news portal, alleged that the youth was working in his orchard in the morning and had returned home to take a bath. The family also alleged that the throat of the youth was slit.

However, police has refuted these allegations, saying that the youth had joined militant ranks a few days ago.

A police official said rumours are being spread by vested interests that a Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) militant Zakir Naik, who was killed in Chimmer in Kulgam on June 30, wasn't a militant.

“The fact is that he had joined militant ranks just a few days before he was eliminated,” he said.

He said people should not believe in rumours, adding legal action will be taken for spreading rumours.

Police had claimed that three LeT militants were on Wednesday killed and two Army soldiers injured in the encounter which ensued after security forces launched a Cordon and Search Operation (CASO) in Kulgam.

On July 18 last year, Army had claimed to have killed three militants in south Kashmir district of Shopian. However, separate investigations by police and Army later found that the encounter was staged and three labourers from Rajouri were killed and dubbed as militants. An Army officer of the rank of a captain and two others were found culpable in the killings.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.