August 17, 2026 07:04 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Covishield
Image credit: Covishield Twitter Handle

Madras HC issues notice to Centre on plea to declare Covishield 'unsafe'

| @indiablooms | Feb 20, 2021, at 01:53 am

Chennai/IBNS: The Madras High Court has issued a notice to the Centre over a petition to declare India's indigenous coronavirus vaccine -'Covishield'- developed by Pune-based Serum Institute as "unsafe".

The petition was filed by a 41-year-old man from Chennai who was a volunteer for the third phase of the Covid vaccine trial and was administered a dose of Covishield on Oct 1.

He had alleged adverse effects from the vaccine trials, claiming "loss of creativity and business", said reports.

Covishield has been developed by Pune-based Serum Institute of India in partnership with Oxford University and the British-Swedish pharma giant AstraZeneca.

It is one of the two indigenous vaccines that has been cleared by India's drug controller for emergency use. The other vaccine approved for the same in Bharat Biotech's Covaxin.

More than 1 crore doses of both vaccines have been administered across the country since Jan 16, the government data stated.

In his plea, the Chennai man has sought a declaration that Covishield "is not safe". He has also asked to compensate him with Rs. 5 crore.

Last year when the allegations had surfaced, the Serum Institute had denied the claims by the volunteer and had even threatened to sue him for Rs. 100 crore.

"The COVISHIELD vaccine is safe and immunogenic. The incident with the Chennai volunteer though highly unfortunate was in no way induced by the vaccine and Serum Institute of India is sympathetic with the volunteer's medical condition," Serum Institute had said in its statement at the time.

It also sent a legal notice to the volunteer, saying it wanted to "safeguard the reputation of the company which is being unfairly maligned."

Last month, the Drug Controller General of India (DCGI) had assured that both the vaccines are "110 per cent" safe.

"We'll never approve anything if there is slightest of safety concern. The vaccines are 110 per cent safe. Some side effects like mild fever, pain and allergy are common for every vaccine," DCGI VG Somani had said.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.