August 17, 2026 04:06 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit | Shehzad Poonawalla doubles down on BJP exit, urges party to accept resignation | Tarapith tragedy: Seven pilgrims killed as hotel goes up in flames before dawn | Bengal STF nabs suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan
RG Kar Rape-Murder
Photo courtesy: X/JP Nadda

Kolkata rape & murder: Doctor's body calls off strike after demands on safety met by JP Nadda

| @indiablooms | Aug 14, 2024, at 06:24 am

New Delhi/IBNS: The Federation of Resident Doctors' Association (FORDA) Tuesday called off the protest over the rape and murder of a trainee female doctor in Kolkata after meeting Union Health Minister JP Nadda.

The key doctor's body said the decision was taken after a meeting with JP Nadda and that their demands had been met, including one seeking an assurance that the Central Healthcare Protection Act would be passed to curb attacks on medical personnel.

In a statement, FORDA said, "as requested", it will be part of a committee on the Central Healthcare Protection Act, work on which will start within 15 days.

Soon after the FORDA statement, the health ministry posted on X that Nadda welcomed the organisation's decision and that all their concerns regarding the safety of healthcare workers would be addressed. 

"Union Health Minister, Shri @JPNadda met with the Federation of Resident Doctors Association (@FordaIndia) delegation today.  He welcomed their decision to call off the strike in the public interest and assured them that the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare will address all their concerns to ensure a safer and better work environment."

The protests began on Monday, three days after the rape and murder of a 31-year-old post-graduate trainee, who was working at Kolkata's state government-run RG Kar Medical College and Hospital, was found inside a seminar hall in the institution.

Sanjoy Roy, a civic volunteer working with the Kolkata Police, has been arrested for the crime.

Apart from sexual assault, her post-mortem report revealed that several injuries were inflicted on her before she was smothered and throttled to death.

The doctors had demanded that the probe into the rape and murder be handed over to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), which was met on Tuesday through a Calcutta High Court order.

An assurance on the Act remained a hurdle, however, and FORDA posted around 6.30 pm that the strike would continue.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.