August 17, 2026 12:21 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
COVID-19
Image Credit: UNI

Kerala under complete weekend lockdown due to COVID-19 spike

| @indiablooms | Jul 29, 2021, at 05:20 pm

Thiruvananthapuram/IBNS: The south Indian state of Kerala is going into complete lockdown this weekend amid the rise in COVID-19 cases.

The lockdown will be imposed on Jul 31 (Saturday) and Aug 1 (Sunday).

Meanwhile, the central government is rushing a central team to the southern state as it is still reporting a high number of positive cases.

Union Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya Thursday morning tweeted, "Central Government is sending 6 member team to Kerala headed by NCDC Director. As large number of COVID cases are still being reported in Kerala, the team will aid state’s ongoing efforts in #COVID19 management."

Kerala Wednesday reported 22,056 new COVID-19 cases while the toll increased by 131.

Earlier this month, the Communist government in Kerala was slammed by the Supreme Court for easing anti-COVID-19 restrictions in view of Muslim festival Bakrid.

"Alarming state of affairs to give in to pressure tactics. Pressure hood of any manner cannot infringe upon the most precious right to life. If any untoward incident takes place due to this relaxation, the public can bring to our notice and action will be taken accordingly," a two-judge bench comprising Justice RF Nariman and BR Gavai had told the government.

The state government had cited the adverse economic condition of the traders as the reason behind the relaxations. 

"The traders were expecting that the Bakrid sales would alleviate their misery to a certain extent. They have stocked up the goods for this purpose early. The organization of traders started to agitate against the stringent curbs implemented in the LSGIs and declared that they will open shops all over the state flouting the regulations," the government had told the court.

At that time, the state was reporting cases at around 9-10 thousand per day.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.