August 17, 2026 05:24 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit | Shehzad Poonawalla doubles down on BJP exit, urges party to accept resignation | Tarapith tragedy: Seven pilgrims killed as hotel goes up in flames before dawn | Bengal STF nabs suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar
Hijab row
Image Credit: UNI

Karnataka hijab row: Tension spreads to Madhya Pradesh, Puducherry

| @indiablooms | Feb 09, 2022, at 04:53 am

Bhopal/IBNS: The controversy of wearing hijab (headscarves) by students crossed the borders of Karnataka and spread in BJP-ruled Madhya Pradesh and Puducherry on Tuesday.

This comes as the Karnataka High Court is hearing petitions filed by five women from a government college in Udupi, questioning hijab restrictions. The court has also appealed for peace to the students.

Meanwhile, in Madhya Pradesh, a minister has spoken in favour of "discipline" and a "uniform dress code".

Supporting the ban on the hijab, Madhya Pradesh School Education Minister Inder Singh Parmar said the government will give priority to following a discipline for students.

"Hijab isn't part of school uniform, which is why wearing it should be banned in schools. Traditions need to be followed by people at their homes and not at schools. We are working on strict enforcement of dress code at schools," he told mediapersons.

Asked if hijab will be banned in schools of the state, the minister said if need be, a decision will be taken after examining the issue.

In Puducherry, the authorities have asked the head of a government school in Ariyankuppam to inquire into allegations of a teacher objecting to headscarves in class, said reports.

Earlier in the evening, the Karnataka government announced that all schools and colleges in the state will be shut for the next three days after the row over wearing hijab by students inside campuses turned violent.

In a tweet, Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai appealed to students to maintain peace and informed them about the order of high schools and colleges' closure.

"I appeal to all the students,  teachers and management of schools and colleges as well as people of Karnataka to maintain peace and harmony. I have ordered closure of all high schools and colleges for next three days. All concerned are requested to cooperate," Bommai tweeted.

The Karnataka High Court will continue the hearing on Wednesday.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.