August 20, 2026 03:16 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Kashmir police arrested key aide in Pahalgam attack case. File Photo: X/Indian Army.

J&K Police arrest key aide in Pahalgam terror attack case

| @indiablooms | Sep 24, 2025, at 11:23 pm

Jammu and Kashmir Police have arrested Mohammad Katari, accused of providing logistical support to the terrorists behind the April 22 Pahalgam attack, in which 26 people were killed at Baisaran Valley, a tourist destination near Pahalgam, media reports said.

Katari’s arrest follows a forensic analysis of weapons and equipment recovered during Operation Mahadev in July, when security forces tracked down and neutralised three terrorists, including the alleged mastermind Suleiman Shah alias Hashim Musa.

Sources told NDTV that Katari will be produced in court and remanded to judicial custody. Officials described this as the first major breakthrough since Operation Mahadev, underlining the government’s determination to dismantle all networks linked to the Pahalgam killings.

A faction of the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) had claimed responsibility for the massacre.

Operation Mahadev

The massive counter-terror operation began on May 22 after intelligence inputs pointed to terrorists hiding in Dachigam, near Srinagar.

Security forces intercepted encrypted communications on China-made devices, eventually tracking the group.

On July 28, a drone confirmed their location, after which the Rashtriya Rifles and Special Forces launched the assault. By 12.45 pm, all three gunmen were eliminated.

Among them was Shah, a former commando in the Pakistan Army’s Special Service Group, who later joined LeT under UN-designated terrorist Hafiz Saeed.

Shah, who infiltrated India in September 2023, had been linked to multiple deadly attacks, including the killing of seven civilians in October 2024 and the Baramulla ambush that left four security personnel dead.

The J&K Police had earlier announced a ₹20 lakh reward for information on him.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.