August 17, 2026 05:15 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit | Shehzad Poonawalla doubles down on BJP exit, urges party to accept resignation | Tarapith tragedy: Seven pilgrims killed as hotel goes up in flames before dawn | Bengal STF nabs suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar
Galwan Clash | Beijing Winter Olympics
Image Credit: Pixabay

Indian diplomat to skip Beijing Winter Olympics after fresh controversy over Galwan clash

| @indiablooms | Feb 03, 2022, at 11:53 pm

Beijing: India has registered strong protest against Chinese government's decision to choose one of its soldiers involved in Galwan Valley clash as a torch bearer in the Beijing Winter Olympics opening ceremony.

India's Charge d'Affaires in Beijing has refused to attend the opening and closing ceremonies of the event over the controversy that followed a report in an Australian newspaper "The Klaxon", revealing that 38 Chinese soldiers had drowned in Galwan river while trying to flee a fierce counter-attack by the Indian Army on the night of June 15, 2020.

However, after 10 months of the clash, the Chinese government had that four of their soldiers had been killed, though according to western media the Chinese army had suffered several casualties in the fighting.

Criticing China's action, India said it was regrettable that China has "chosen to politicise" the games.

"We have seen the reports on this issue," the foreign ministry said today.

"It is indeed regrettable that the Chinese side has chosen to politicise an event like the Olympics. I wish to inform that our Charge d'Affaires of the Embassy of India in Beijing will not be attending the opening or the closing ceremony of the Beijing '22 Winter Olympics," the ministry added.

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.