August 17, 2026 02:03 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
India-China

India-China meeting on disengagement in Ladakh remains inconclusive; both sides agree to maintain 'stability'

| @indiablooms | Oct 11, 2021, at 05:03 pm

New Delhi/UNI: The 13th round of Corps Commander level talks between India and China could not bring any further resolutions for disengagement in Eastern Ladakh, the Indian Army said, even as the two sides agreed to maintain 'stability' on ground.

During the talks held at Moldo, across the LAC from Chushul, the discussions between the two sides focussed on resolution of the remaining issues along the LAC in Eastern Ladakh.

A statement by the Indian Army said, the Indian side made "constructive suggestions for resolving the remaining areas, but the Chinese side was not agreeable and also could not provide any forward-looking proposals."

"The meeting thus did not result in resolution of the remaining areas," the Indian Army said.

The two sides have agreed to maintain communications and also to maintain stability on the ground.

"It is our expectation that the Chinese side will take into account the overall perspective of bilateral relations and will work towards early resolution of the remaining issues while fully abiding by bilateral agreements and protocols," the Army said.

At the meeting on Sunday, the Indian side had pointed out that the situation along the LAC had been caused by unilateral attempts of the Chinese side to alter the status quo and in violation of the bilateral agreements.

"It was therefore necessary that the Chinese side take appropriate steps in the remaining areas so as to restore peace and tranquillity along the LAC in the Western Sector. This would also be in accord with the guidance provided by the two Foreign Ministers in their recent meeting in Dushanbe where they had agreed that the two sides should resolve the remaining issues at the earliest," the statement said.

The Indian side emphasised such resolution of the remaining areas would facilitate progress in the bilateral relations.

The 13th round of Corps Commander-level talks was held at Modlo Garrison, across the LAC in Chushul on Sunday.

The talks, which were held after a gap of around two months, lasted for over eight hours.

The standoff began in May last year when Chinese troops tried to unilaterally alter the LAC in Eastern Ladakh sector, where the border is not clearly demarcated.

The Chinese action led to eyeball-to-eyeball situation, especially in Depsang, Pangong Lake, Gogra Hills and Hot Springs areas, as India mobilised troops to match Chinese military buildup to thwart the designs of the adversary.

The subsequent rounds of talks resulted in disengagement in Pangong Lake and Gogra areas.

However, the standoff continues in some other areas like Depsang.

The last round of talks took place on July 31, following which, soldiers on both sides completed the disengagement process in Gogra.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.