August 20, 2026 11:33 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
K'taka Politics
Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah. Photo: Siddaramaiah/Facebook

'I wouldn't have continued without high command's support': Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah amid power struggle with DKS

| @indiablooms | Jul 11, 2025, at 01:49 pm

Bengaluru/IBNS: Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said he is continuing at the helm of the state with the backing of the high command amid the power struggle with his deputy DK Shivakumar in the southern state.

Speaking to NDTV, Siddaramaiah said, "The question of leadership is not with the high command. It (Shivakumar's challenge) has been resolved. I am getting the full support of the Congress high command... wouldn't have continued if they had not supported me."

Congress leader Randeep Surjewala flew to Bengaluru last week to resolve the dispute between the two top leaders, who have been in the struggle for the top post.

On Deputy CM DK Shivakumar’s ambitions, Siddaramaiah earlier told India Today candidly, “He is also an aspirant. There is nothing wrong with that. DK Shivakumar has himself said this, that ‘kursi abhi khali nahi hai’.”

Refuting claims that the Congress high command had set a two-and-a-half-year power-sharing arrangement, Siddaramaiah clarified, “Two and a half years was never decided. It is not correct... Mallikarjun Kharge has already said that ours is a high command party. Whatever they say, we have to follow. I will, and DK Shivakumar also will.”

On being asked if Congress leaders like Randeep Surjewala had questioned his leadership, Siddaramaiah denied any such discussion.

“As far as leadership is concerned, Surjewala has not asked any question,” he said, acknowledging some MLAs support Shivakumar, but “not many.”

Siddaramaiah and Shivakumar fought each other to grab the Chief Minister's post after Congress won Karnataka in 2023.

Last year, Shivakumar had questioned the Congress government's Shakti scheme that allows free travel in buses for women saying some women are willing to pay fares.

Shivakumar had said as quoted by Deccan Herald, "This guarantee was announced by Rahul Gandhi in Mangaluru. Some women (now) say they are ready to pay but conductors won't accept it.

"That's one class, comprising maybe 5-10 per cent. We will sit down with (Transport Minister) Ramalinga Reddy and discuss these things."

Later, he made a U-turn after being pulled up by Congress national president Mallikarjun Kharge.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.