August 17, 2026 01:10 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Anil Deshmukh
Image: Wikimedia Commons

HC to decide Anil Deshmukh's plea on Sep 13

| @indiablooms | Sep 09, 2021, at 09:42 pm

Mumbai/UNI: The Bombay High Court on Thursday said it would decide on September 13 whether the petition filed by former Maharashtra home minister Anil Deshmukh against the summons issued to him by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) in a money laundering case should be heard by a single or division bench.

Deshmukh had last week filed the petition seeking to quash the five summons issued by the ED.

When the petition came up for hearing before a single bench of Justice S K Shinde, solicitor general Tushar Mehta, appearing for the ED, brought to the court's attention a note addressed by the HC registry department, saying the plea ought to be heard by a division bench (comprising two judges).

"If the registry has raised an objection, then it ought to be cleared first as a single bench might not be able to decide on certain issues and challenges in a petition," Mehta said.

Senior counsel Vikram Chaudhri and advocate Aniket Nikam, appearing for Deshmukh, however, opposed and said the single bench had the jurisdiction to hear the plea.

Justice Shinde said he would consider the issue and pass orders on September 13.

"The registry has raised this objection. I will deal with this issue and pass orders," Justice Shinde said.

The ED had initiated a probe against Deshmukh and his associates after the CBI filed its FIR against the NCP leader on April 21 on charges of corruption and misuse of official position.

In his plea, Deshmukh said the action of the ED is a result of "political vendetta".

"This is a case where repeatedly they (ED) are creating undue sensation with selective leakage of information. They are issuing summons and now a lookout circular despite the applicant (Deshmukh) writing to them that the case is pending before the courts and seeking to appear virtually before the agency," Chaudhri said.

Chaudhri sought interim protection pending hearing of the plea, which was opposed by Mehta.

Deshmukh in his petition said the agency's whole case is based on the "malicious statements" made by dismissed cop Sachin Waze, who is presently in jail in the Antilia bomb scare and killing of businessman Mansukh Hiran case.

"The statements made by Waze, a tainted cop, are absolutely false and concocted with a malafide intention to defame.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.