August 20, 2026 08:15 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Niger
Image: UN Photo/Cia Pak

Guterres concerned over continued detention of Niger’s President

| @indiablooms | Aug 08, 2023, at 08:56 pm

UN Secretary-General António Guterres has underlined his support for ongoing mediation efforts by the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in the wake of the 26 July attempted coup in Niger, his Office said on Monday.

ECOWAS is scheduled to hold another meeting on the crisis on Thursday in Abuja, Nigeria, according to media reports.

This follows an extraordinary summit last week where the 15-member bloc issued a communiqué calling for the reinstatement of Nigerien President Mohamed Bazoum.

Failing this, ECOWAS had threatened to “take all measures necessary to restore constitutional order”, including use of force. The ultimatum expired on Sunday.

Military leaders in Niger have closed the country’s airspace in response.

UN “good offices” role 

“The Secretary-General is concerned over the continued detention of President Bazoum and the failure so far to restore constitutional order in Niger,” his Office said in a note to journalists.

Meanwhile, UN Special Representative for West Africa and the Sahel, Leonardo Santos Simão, continues to provide good offices support to regional stakeholders, and is currently in Abuja. 

Humanitarian support must continue

“The Secretary-General emphasizes the urgent need to ensure that life-saving humanitarian work continues unhindered, and that the United Nations Humanitarian Air Service that provides a vital link to remote communities in Niger is allowed to operate to and continue to serve those communities,” the note said.

During a briefing to journalists last week, Mr. Simão reported that 4.3 million people in Niger require humanitarian assistance.

He also warned that the unfolding crisis could worsen insecurity in the wider West African region.

UN humanitarian agencies have pledged to stay and deliver in Niger.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.