August 20, 2026 06:36 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Bridge collapse
Screengrab from video tweeted by AIR

Guard missing after Rs. 1,700 crore under-construction bridge collapses in Bihar

| @indiablooms | Jun 06, 2023, at 03:00 am

New Delhi/IBNS: The collapse of an under-construction bridge in Bihar's Bhagalpur has triggered a war of words between the state government and the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).

A guard working near the bridge has gone missing and the rescue workers are now trying to trace him.

"After the bridge collapse, a person working as a guard with SP Singla Company is said to be missing. His body has not been recovered yet. Search by SDRF and NDRF teams is underway to trace him," Chandan Kumar, Circle Officer, in Bihar's Parbatta, told the media.

Soon after the four-lane bridge came crashing down like a house of cards on Sunday evening, the Bihar government informed the media that the structure had "serious defects" and portions were being deliberately destroyed in a planned fashion.

"It may be recalled that a portion of this bridge had collapsed on April 30 last year. We had, thereafter, approached IIT-Roorkee, which is esteemed for its expertise in construction matters, to conduct a study. It is yet to come up with a final report but experts who had studied the structure had informed us that there were serious defects," Deputy Chief Minister Tejashwi Yadav said at the press conference.

A government official, during the press conference, said that they decided not to take any chances and went ahead with pulling down parts of the bridge.

The bridge construction involved an estimated cost of Rs. 1,700 crore.

The government has ordered an inquiry into Sunday's incident and said strict action should be taken against the erring officials.

Yadav said that "many structural defects have been pointed out by experts and we have already pulled down many portions which have been flagged as particularly vulnerable. Today's incident confirms our worst apprehensions".

Meanwhile, state BJP president Samrat Choudhary has demanded the resignation of Nitish Kumar, who had snapped ties with the saffron party in August last year.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.