August 17, 2026 01:43 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
India-China
Image credit: UNI

Galwan episode took place due to China's provocative behaviour, unilateral attempts to alter status quo: India

| @indiablooms | Sep 25, 2021, at 12:30 am

New Delhi/UNI: India on Friday rejected China’s attempts to put the blame for the Galwan Valley incident of last year on New Delhi, and said that the deadly skirmish had occurred due to the “provocative behaviour and unilateral attempts” of the Chinese side to alter status quo in the border area.

The Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson’s response was in reaction to the Chinese MFA spokesperson’s comment that the “Galwan valley incident took place because India violated all the treaties and agreements and encroached upon China’s territory illegally and crossed the line.”

“We reject such statements. Our position with regard to developments last year along the LAC in Eastern Ladakh has been clear and consistent," read the statement.

“It was the provocative behaviour and unilateral attempts of the Chinese side to alter status quo in contravention of all our bilateral agreements that resulted in serious disturbance of peace and tranquility," the statement said.

“This has also impacted the bilateral relations. As emphasized by the External Affairs Minister in his meeting with the Chinese Foreign Minister earlier this month, it is our expectation that the Chinese side will work towards early resolution of the remaining issues along the Line of Actual Control in Eastern Ladakh while fully abiding by bilateral agreements and protocols,” the MEA statement said.

During his bilateral meeting with Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi on September 16 on the sidelines of the SCO summit in Dushanbe, Tajikistan, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar had conveyed that it is necessary to ensure progress in resolution of the remaining issues on the border in eastern Ladakh in order to restore peace and tranquillity along the LAC and noted that this has been an essential basis for progress in the bilateral ties.

Both the Ministers agreed that the military and diplomatic officials of the two sides should meet again and continue their discussions to resolve the remaining issues at the earliest.

The EAM noted that since their last meeting on 14th July the two sides had made some progress in the resolution of the remaining issues along the LAC in Eastern Ladakh and had completed the disengagement in the Gogra area.

However, there were still some outstanding issues that needed to be resolved, said an official statement.

Both sides had agreed that a prolongation of the existing situation was not in the interest of the either side as it was impacting the relationship in a negative manner.

EAM therefore emphasized that the two sides should work towards early resolution of the remaining issues along the LAC in Eastern Ladakh while fully abiding by bilateral agreements and protocols.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.