August 17, 2026 07:51 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Election Commission

EC rejects TMC's conspiracy claim to injure Mamata in Nandigram

| @indiablooms | Mar 14, 2021, at 09:16 pm

Kolkata/UNI: The Election Commission (EC) on Sunday said there was no deliberate attempt or a conspiracy to attack Chief Minister and Trinamool Congress (TMC) supremo Mamata Banerjee at Nandigram in East Midnapore district of West Bengal on March 10.

The EC report pointed out the flippant attitude of Director (Security) Vivek Sahay of the Chief Minister.

Director Security was sitting in the bullet proof car meant for the VVIP. The chief minister was using a normal vehicle rather than the bullet proof vehicle.

The report said the CM flouted the prescribed security norms/protocols— Could have led to tragic consequences.

The EC recommended stringent action against Director (Security) Vivek Sahay.

The EC recommended a high level committee of Home Secretary and the DGP West Bengal and take action against people who failed in their duty to prevent the incident.

The ECI may issue directions to all the star campaigners to strictly adhere to the security protocols and arrangements.

“If any incident of violence occurs during the rallies/road shows of the star campaigners, the DM and SP of the district should be transferred immediately, the report said.

However, the West Bengal government’s report to the Election Commission, had no mention of the “four-five persons”, who Banerjee had alleged had attacked her, an official of the state CEO’s office said.

It said there was no clear video footage of the alleged attack that took place in Birulia Bazar of Nandigram on Wednesday evening.

It, however, referred to the presence of a huge crowd at the spot where the incident took place, he said.

The TMC supremo had returned home from the state-run SSKM Hospital on Friday evening, after receiving treatment for the injuries she sustained while campaigning in her constituency in Nandigram last week.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.