August 17, 2026 10:55 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Sushant Singh Rajput
Image Credit: Sushant Singh Rajput Facebook

Delhi High Court nixes plea seeking stay on film based on late actor Sushant Singh Rajput

| @indiablooms | Jun 10, 2021, at 10:04 pm

New Delhi/UNI: The Delhi High Court on Thursday set aside a petition seeking a stay on the release of an upcoming film 'Nyay: The Justice', based on late Hindi film actor Sushant Rajput.

A single bench of Justice Sanjeev Narula refused to grant an ex-parte, ad-interim injunction to restrain filmmakers from using Sushant's name caricature, lifestyle or likeness in their forthcoming films or projects.

Sushant Singh Rajput's father Krishna Kishore Singh had filed a civil suit earlier this year against the proposed movies on the late actor's life saying that the people were taking undue advantage of his son's death.

"Defendants (filmmakers), taking advantage of the situation, have been trying to encash this opportunity... plays, movies, web-series, books, interviews or other material may be published which would harm the reputation of the son of the plaintiff and his family," the petition argued.

Besides, It sought ₹2 crore damages for "loss of reputation, mental trauma and harassment".

In April, the court had asked the producers of various movies to respond to Sushant Rajput's father's plea.

Appearing for the plaintiff, senior Advocate Vikas Singh said Mr Kishor Singh feared that several plays, movies, web series, books, interviews or other material might be published which would harm the reputation of Sushant and his family.

In the absence of permission, the plea said that any publication, production, or depiction of the private life of Sushant Singh Rajput was a blatant and wilful breach of fundamental right to privacy which cannot be taken away without the prior approval of his legal heir.

Though the court refused to grant a stay, it directed the defendants to submit all details of royalty, licensing, pro licensing, profits made from the movies to the Joint Registrar.

Senior Advocate Chander Lall and Advocate Hiren Kamod appeared for the Director and Producers of the film.

Other forthcoming movies based on Sushant Rajput's life are 'Suicide or Murder: A Star Was Lost', 'Shashank' and yet to be named project.

Thirty-four-year-old Sushant Singh Rajput was found dead at his Mumbai residence on June 15, 2020. The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is conducting a probe into his death.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.