August 17, 2026 03:44 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit | Shehzad Poonawalla doubles down on BJP exit, urges party to accept resignation | Tarapith tragedy: Seven pilgrims killed as hotel goes up in flames before dawn | Bengal STF nabs suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan
Nagaland Firing

Congress Lok Sabha leader Adhir Chowdhury hits out at Centre over Nagaland incident

| @indiablooms | Dec 09, 2021, at 11:45 pm

New Delhi/UNI: Congress' Lok Sabha leader Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury on Thursday hit out at the Centre over Union Home Minister Amit Shah's recent statement in the House on the Dec 4 firing incident at Oting in Nagaland's Mon district.

The Baharampur MP accused the Union Minister of presenting a "misleading" statement on the incident that led to 15 lives being lost, 14 civilians, and one security personnel.

He also brought up Wednesday's development, when a three-member Congress delegation led by deputy leader in the House, Gaurav Gogoi, en route to Mon district to meet the families of the victims, were detained in Assam's Jorhat.

Chowdhury during the Zero Hour in Lok Sabha, on Thursday termed it a 'brazen' act.

"In Lakhimpur Kheri (UP) we were stopped by this government and now in Nagaland. The delegation was detained in Assam without any reason," the Congress leader said.

The Congress MP said, "The Home Minister gave a misleading statement in the House over Mon firing incident. Those people admitted to the hospital said security forces shot at them directly without any alarm."

Later the Gogoi-led delegation was allowed to go to Dibrugarh after four hours. They met the family members of the injured victims.

Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla, however, said, "This is a matter of state government."

Earlier this week, Shah in the lower house had said, "A vehicle was asked to stop, but instead they tried to speed up and leave the area. On doubt that the vehicle was carrying suspected rebels, firing was resorted to."

In the aftermath of the incident, Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio and his Meghalaya counterpart Conrad K Sangma, both part of BJP-led Northeast Democratic Alliance, have demanded repeal of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.