August 20, 2026 07:52 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Bengal poll violence
Photo courtesy: Wikimedia Commons

Calcutta HC allows central force deployment in Bengal for another 10 days after Panchayat poll violence

| @indiablooms | Jul 25, 2023, at 05:19 am

Kolkata/IBNS/UNI: The Calcutta High Court Monday allowed the deployment of central forces in West Bengal for another ten days to thwart any eventuality after the Panchayat poll violence.

“Wherever, in the opinion of the state government and the state election commission, disturbance is still going on, such areas shall be identified so that the remaining central forces can be deployed in the places and be allowed to continue for a period of 10 days. It is open to the Centre to withdraw the central forces in a phased manner, ” said a division bench, led by Chief Justice T S Sivagnanam.

“The entire list is clogged with election matters. Nothing can be done. You blame your friends for that. Already 40 to 50 matters have been given. The list is not moving. Absolutely no work has been going on in this court for the past two and half months,” the bench said.

The court was informed by the Centre that at least 136 companies of central forces had been withdrawn in phases.

The Union government had despatched 821 companies for deployment in the state on the high court’ order for the three-tier panchayat polls held on July 8.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.