August 17, 2026 09:02 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Boris Johnson
Image: Wallpaper Cave

British PM Boris Johnson's visit to India cancelled: MEA

| @indiablooms | Apr 19, 2021, at 10:42 pm

New Delhi/UNI: British Prime Minister Boris Johnson's official trip to India next week has been cancelled, Ministry of External Affairs said here on Monday.

The MEA said the decision to cancel the proposed trip was taken mutually.

The decision comes against the backdrop of a strong Covid-19 second wave in India which has hit the south Asian country hard. For few days, more than two lakh cases are being reported daily, prompting authorities to impose certain restrictions like weekend lockdowns.

However, the MEA said the two sides will hold a virtual meeting in the coming days.

"The two sides will be holding a virtual meeting in the coming days to launch plans for a transformed India-U.K. relationship. Both leaders attach the highest importance to taking the India-U.K. partnership to its fullest potential and propose to remain in close touch in this regard and look forward to an in-person meeting later in the year," the MEA said in a statement said.

Last week, Johnson has announced to cut short his trip to India over the Covid situation. In January, the British PM had cancelled the trip when he was invited as the chief guest on Republic Day as that time Britain was under the grip of the second wave of Covid-19.

The post-Brexit Britain has been eying at the Indo-Pacific for trade and collaborations in other fields. The proposed trip was billed as "significant" as many new agreements were to be signed between the two nations.

This was the first major trip by Johnson post-Brexit and after re-election.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.