August 17, 2026 08:49 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Bengal Polls 2021
Image Credit: IBNS File

Bengal polls: ECI serves notice to Dilip Ghosh over Sitalkuchi remark, seeks explanation by 10 am tomorrow

| @indiablooms | Apr 13, 2021, at 07:44 pm

Kolkata/IBNS: The Election Commission of India (ECI) on Tuesday served a notice to West Bengal BJP president Dilip Ghosh over his controversial remark on the CISF firing in Cooch Behar's Sitalkuchi that left four people dead, officials said.

According to sources in the ECI, Ghosh has been asked to explain his stand on the statement he made by 10 am. on Wednesday.

Earlier on Apr 11, a day after the Sitalkuchi violence, Ghosh during a public meeting in North 24 Parganas' Baranagar said that Sitalkuchi-like incidents would be repeated in other places too if people take the law in their own hands.

"Naughty boys were shot yesterday in Sitalkuchi. This is just the beginning. Those who thought that the Central forces' rifles were just meant to be just for show have well understood the power of cartridges, and this would be carried on throughout Bengal," Ghosh said in the rally.

"Those who will take the law in their own hands will be given a befitting answer," Ghosh added.

Hours ago, the poll body imposed a 48-hour campaign ban on BJP leader Rahul Sinha over his controversial remarks on the Sitalkuchi incident.

Meanwhile, after receiving BJP's Nandigram candidate Suvendu Adhikari's explanation to a show-cause notice, the ECI has warned Adhikari and advised him to desist from making 'hate speech' during public meetings while the Model Code of Conduct (MCC) is in force in the state.

All these come a day after West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was banned for 24 hours over her alleged communal remark.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.