August 17, 2026 08:56 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Dilip Ghosh
Image Credit: Dilip Ghosh Facebook

Bengal polls: ECI bans BJP WB president Dilip Ghosh for 24 hours over his remarks on Sitalkuchi violence

| @indiablooms | Apr 16, 2021, at 04:30 am

New Delhi/IBNS: The Election Commission of India (ECI) on Thursday imposed a 24-hour campaign ban on BJP's West Bengal unit president Dilip Ghosh over his remarks on Sitalkuchi incident, officials said.

According to ECI officials, Dilip Ghosh can not hold an election campaign in any manner from Thursday (Apr 15) 7 pm to Friday (Apr 16) 7 pm.

On Tuesday, the poll body had served a notice to Ghosh over his controversial statements on the CISF firing outside a polling station in Cooch Behar's Sitalkuchi that left four people dead on Apr 10.

Ghosh had been asked in the notice to explain his stand on the comments made by him.

A day later, Ghosh sent his reply to the notice which failed to satisfy the Election Commission, sources said.

Earlier on Apr 11, a day after the Sitalkuchi violence, Dilip Ghosh during a public meeting in North 24 Parganas' Baranagar said that Sitalkuchi-like incident would be repeated in other places throughout Bengal if people take the law in their own hands.

"Naughty boys were shot at yesterday in Sitalkuchi. This is just the beginning. Those who thought that the Central forces' rifles were just meant to be just for show have well understood the power of cartridges, and this would be carried on throughout Bengal," Dilip Ghosh said in the rally.

"Those who will take the law in their own hands will be given a befitting answer," Ghosh added.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.