August 17, 2026 06:37 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Assam Insurgency
Image credit: UNI

Assam minister appeals ULFA-I to release abducted employees of oil drilling company

| @indiablooms | Feb 03, 2021, at 12:24 am

Guwahati: Assam Health minister Dr Himanta Biswa Sarma has appealed United Liberation Front of Asom – Independent (ULFA-I) to release two employees of an oil drilling company who were abducted by the banned outfit on Dec 21 last year.

The rebel outfit had abducted Pranab Kumar Gogoi – a drilling superintendent at the Quippo Oil and Gas Infrastructure Limited, and Ram Kumar – a radio operator at the company, from a drilling site near Innao in Arunachal Pradesh’s Changlang district.

On Jan 30, ULFA-I had issued a press release and warned that, the Chief Ministers of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh would be responsible for any untoward fate of the two employees of the oil drilling company.

Pranab Kumar Gogoi is a resident of Assam’s Sivasagar district while Ram Kumar is hailing from Bihar’s Khagaria district and both are now in captive of the rebel outfits.

Appealing to the ULFA-I and its chief Paresh Baruah for releasing the abducted employees of the oil drilling company, Himanta Biswa Sarma said that – “We urge the ULFA-I to release both the employees.”

“They are lower level workers of the company and keeping them hostage nobody will profit. Paresh Baruah should have to hear the appeal of the people and release the abducted employees,” Himanta Biswa Sarma said.

The banned militant group has asked the oil drilling company to take necessary steps to rescue their employees within February 16.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.