August 17, 2026 02:54 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Arvind Kejriwal
Image: UNI

Arvind Kejriwal extends free ration scheme to another 6 months

| @indiablooms | Nov 06, 2021, at 10:12 pm

New Delhi/UNI: A day after the Centre said that there was no proposal to extend free foodgrains supply under the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PM-GKAY), the Delhi government announced to extend its free ration distribution scheme on Saturday.

Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said that Delhi Government has extended its free ration scheme for another six months even as the Centre has not proposed to further its food security programme under (PM-GKAY) beyond November 30.

He also appealed to Prime Minister Narendra Modi to extend the Centre's scheme for another six months citing inflation and unemployment led by COVID-19.

"Onset of COVID-19 has increased unemployment while inflation is skyrocketing. People are facing immense difficulty in even securing two times meal.

"I would urge the Prime Minister to extend its food security programme further for the next six months. Delhi government is doing the same with its free ration scheme," he posted on Twitter.

Kejriwal's tweet was a response to a news item stating that Modi Government has no proposal to further the food security programme beyond November 30.

On Friday, food secretary Sudhanshu Pandey was reported stating that there was no proposal at present to extend the PM-GKAY scheme because of the economic recovery following the pandemic and also due to the good in the open market policy.

The additional benefits under the Centre's scheme were started last year when the COVID-19 pandemic hit and continued till November 2020. It was reinstated again in May this year during the deadly second wave of COVID-19.

It was earlier announced by Modi that the benefits would continue till Diwali.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.