August 17, 2026 08:10 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Anil Deshmukh
Image Credit: Anil Deshmukh Facebook

Anil Deshmukh meets Uddhav Thackeray amid oppositions' demand for his resignation

| @indiablooms | Mar 24, 2021, at 04:45 am

Mumbai/IBNS: Maharashtra Home Minister Anil Deshmukh on Tuesday night met Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray amid oppositions' demand for his resignations over corruption allegations levelled against him by former Mumbai police commissioner Param Bir Singh.

The meeting, which lasted for nearly an hour, took place at Thackeray's official residence.

Union Minister and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Ravi Shankar Prasad launched a scathing attack on Deshmukh and accused him of extorting money for transferring cops to positions of power.

"The Home Minister of Maharashtra is extorting money for transfers and postings. Was the minister taking money for himself, his party, or his government is yet to be known," Prasad said addressing the media.

Earlier in the day, former Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis accused the Maha Vikas Aghadi government in the state of "protecting" Deshmukh.

Fadnavis suggested the "alibi" put forth by Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief Sharad Pawar at a press conference was full of discrepancies.

Pawar on Monday ruled out the possibility of removing Anil Deshmukh as Maharashtra Home Minister in the wake of allegations of corruption.

Addressing the media over former Mumbai police chief Param Bir Singh's corruption allegations against the home minister, Pawar had said, "Anil Deshmukh was in hospital during that period. So in such a situation question does not arise about the resignation."

"This has been brought to my notice that Maharashtra HM Shri @AnilDeshmukhNCP  who was detected #covid positive in February got discharged from hospital on 15th February and advised to be home quarantine between 15th to 27th February. During this period, he was house quarantined," he had tweeted too.

Criticising that alibi, Fadnavis was quoted as saying by India Today that: "Sharad Pawar addressed a press conference and said claims made by Param Bir Singh are incorrect as Anil Deshmukh was hospitalised and then quarantined. On February 15, Deshmukh came to Mumbai by a private plane and it was said he was home-quarantined."

"I have two schedules. On Feb 17, Anil Deshmukh was at Sahyadri Guest House at 3 pm. On Feb 24, the manifest shows his movement from Residence to Mantralay," Fadnavis said and added, "Between February 15 and 27, the Home Minister was home-quarantined and not in isolation. He met several people and officials. The information can be easily accessed."

In a letter to Uddhav Thackeray, Param Bir Singh has accused Deshmukh of running an extortion racket with the help of other cops including Sachin Waze, the officer arrested in the Mukesh Ambani bomb scare case.

They were allegedly given a target of Rs. 100 crore per month.

Singh who was transferred in the aftermath of the investigation in connection with Mukesh Ambani security scare case, also moved the Supreme Court on Monday demanding a CBI probe against Deshmukh.

Deshmukh had denied all allegations and later put out a video statement defending himself, and insisting that fake news was being propagated against him.

He said he took a private plane to Mumbai after his discharge from the hospital, where he was treated for COVID-19, on February 15.

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.