August 17, 2026 09:03 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Kumbh Mela | Covid-19
Swami Avdheshanand Giri official Facebook page

After PM Modi's appeal, seers agree to symbolic participation in Apr 27 'Shahi Snan'

| @indiablooms | Apr 18, 2021, at 01:56 am

Haridwar/IBNS: After Prime Minister Narendra Modi's appeal, the seers have agreed to participate in the ongoing Kumbh Mela in a symbolic manner where the next "Shahi Snan" or the royal bath is scheduled on April 27.

The information was shared by the Mahamandaleshwar of the biggest of the 13 Akhadas--Juna Akhada on Saturday morning, said media reports.

According to media reports, 70 seers had tested positive for the disease while two top seers including a Mahamandleshwar died of the infection recently at the Mahakumbh, the grand pilgrimage of Hindus, where lakhs of people have participated so far.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi had spoken to Awadheshanand Giri over the telephone to participate in the rest of the Mahakumbh symbolically in view of the huge Covid wave which gripped the entire country.

Giri was quoted as saying by Hindustan Times: “Traditionally the fourth Shahi Snan is attended mainly by the seers of the three Bairagi Akhadas, and for all the rest 10 Akhadas the Baishakhi Shahi Snan is the important one after which they start leaving.”

He also urged the pilgrims from other states and Uttarakhand in fewer numbers for the "Shahi Snan" on April 27.  “Mahakumbh will go on but owing to the recent wave of Covid-19 cases in the entire country we all need to be cautious. Religion and customs-traditions are vital but nothing is more important than life. It’s important to pay heed to the PM’s suggestion,” he said.

Giri also said that most of the seers have already started leaving as the last royal bath is attended by the seers of the three Bairagi Akhadas, while the Baisakhi Shahi Snan is important for the rest 10 akhadas.

“Juna Akhada will be taking part in the April 27 Chaitra Poornima Shahi Snan symbolically and I urge other Akhadas to follow suit,” he said, quoted HT.

However, Akhil Bhartiya Akhada Parishad, which is the governing body, has made it clear that the Mahakumb won't be curtailed.

“It will be held till the completion of its designated period on April 30 as it has been held traditionally since centuries. However, amid the Covid-19 surge, we are committed to adhere to the Covid-19 safety norms,” said Akhada Parishad general secretary Mahant Hari Giri.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.