August 20, 2026 03:20 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Photo: video grab

40 minor girls found locked in toilet at illegal madrasa in UP

| @indiablooms | Sep 26, 2025, at 07:51 pm

Bharaich: Forty girls, aged seven to 14, were found confined inside a toilet at an unregistered madrasa in Payagpur tehsil of Bahraich, Uttar Pradesh, during an inspection by district authorities on Wednesday evening.

Hindustan Times reported, citing officials, that the madrasa was being run illegally in a three-storey building in Pahalpurwa village without approval.

The institution, identified as Jamia Ghazia Gulshan-e-Ghausulwara at Patihar Chauraha, has now been shut down.

Sub-divisional magistrate Ashwini Kumar Pandey said the administration had received repeated complaints about the madrasa.

“On Wednesday, during our inspection, the madrasa operators initially tried to prevent us from going upstairs. In the presence of police, we entered the premises and found the terrace toilet locked,” Pandey was quoted as saying by Hindustan Times.

“When female police personnel opened the door, 40 girls aged between nine and 14 emerged one by one. The girls appeared frightened and were unable to speak clearly,” he added.

District minority welfare officer Mohammad Khalid confirmed the madrasa had been running illegally for nearly three years and had no valid documents.

A 2023 survey had already listed it among 495 unrecognised institutions in Bahraich.

Khalid said panic spread when police arrived.

Students and teachers locked themselves inside the toilet to give the impression the madrasa was shut, according to the report.

He added that eight rooms in the building were used as hostels for girls, while others were for day scholars.

A teacher, Tafseen Fatima, produced registration forms but admitted records were with her father, Khalil Ahmed, who managed the madrasa.

All the girls were safely reunited with their parents, officials confirmed.

No FIR has been filed yet.

Additional SP (City) Ramanand Prasad Kushwaha said the parents, SDM, or the minority welfare officer hadn't approached the police for lodging a case.

"If any complaint is received, appropriate legal action will be taken,” Kushwaha said, according to the report.

The state government has yet to finalise a policy on unrecognised madrasas, though some were sealed last year before their managers obtained a High Court stay.

A regulatory framework is expected soon.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.