August 17, 2026 02:40 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
2013 Patna serial blasts
Image Credit: Pixabay

4 sentenced to death by NIA court in 2013 Patna serial blasts ahead of PM Modi's rally

| @indiablooms | Nov 02, 2021, at 02:58 am

Patna/IBNS: Four men have been awarded death sentences for their involvement in the 2013 blasts in Patna that left six dead and 89 injured, media reports said.

The National Investigation Agency (NIA) special court also sentenced two to life imprisonment, two to a 10-year jail term and one to seven years in jail, reported NDTV

Imtiaz Ansari, Mujibullah, Haider Ali, Firoz Aslam, Omar Ansari, Iftekhar, Ahmed Husain, Umair Siddiqui and Azharuddin were convicted in the case and one Fakhruddin was acquitted, stated the report.

On October 27, 2013, blasts rocked Patna's historic Gandhi Maidan, the place  Modi, then Gujarat Chief Minister and BJP's Prime Ministerial candidate for the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, was going to address a "Hunkar Rally".

The explosions took place just before Modi arrived.

Shortly before, blasts also took place at the Patna railway station.

NIA investigations later found the blasts were planned and executed by the proscribed Students' Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) and a Ranchi module of its new avatar, the Indian Mujahideen.

Last week, the NIA court convicted nine out of 10 accused in connection with the serial blasts and acquitted one due to lack of evidence.

News agency PTI reported quoting NIA counsel and Special Public Prosecutor Lalan Prasad Singh that the anti-terror organisation submitted charge sheets against 11 people, including a minor.

While the minor's case was sent to the juvenile justice board, the others were put on trial, he said.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.