August 23, 2026 09:06 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
‘Reservation for poor, not caste’: Stir at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar | Dalit woman 'gangrape-murder' shocker in Karnataka: 4 arrested after body found in well | India dismisses Pakistan's 'frustration' over US envoy's J&K remark | Centre denies US visit clearance to Telangana CM Revanth Reddy, says programmes 'not appropriate' | Delhi Police register FIR in pellet gun case after Rahul Gandhi's sit-in | Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station over CJP protest crackdown, targets Amit Shah | CJP school tour turns chaotic in Jaipur: Cars vandalised, stones pelted as Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP ‘goons’ attack | Vande Mataram row: Kangana Ranaut slams Sharmila Tagore, says ‘come out of Hindu-Muslim mindset’ | Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence

Will Beniwal face a criminal charge now?

| | Aug 08, 2014, at 07:03 pm
Jaipur, Aug 8 (IBNS): Former Mizoram Governor Kamla Beniwal, who was removed from the office on charges of corruption, is likely to face criminal charges, media reports said.

Beniwal, 87, could face criminal charges since a petition has been filed by a lawyer at a local court in Jaipur in Rajasthan.

According to sources, the key charge against Beniwal was that she had submitted a false affidavit to get land at concessional rates worth crores in her hometown Jaipur. The report of a district collector on the issue was sent to the central government in May this year.

In the affidavit, Beniwal had allegedly declared that she performed “14 to 16 hours of hard manual labour for five decades” on a piece of land given by the government in 1953. The land was reacquired by the government in 2000 and as compensation, 209 plots were offered at a concessional rate to the farmers’ cooperative.

Sources said President Pranab Mukherjee has already signed off on the government’s decision to sack Beniwal. It was also learnt the President, in a hand-written response, had said that he was “satisfied” with the evidence sent by the government in a dossier.

The Mizoram Governor was sacked on Wednesday barely two months before the completion of her tenure. Beniwal had been shifted from Gujarat to Mizoram a month ago.
 
Beniwal had differences with Narendra Modi when the latter was the chief minister of Gujrat. The 87-year-old had then challenged the Modi government on the appointment of a Lokayukta or anti-corruption ombudsman. 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.