August 23, 2026 09:23 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
‘Reservation for poor, not caste’: Stir at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar | Dalit woman 'gangrape-murder' shocker in Karnataka: 4 arrested after body found in well | India dismisses Pakistan's 'frustration' over US envoy's J&K remark | Centre denies US visit clearance to Telangana CM Revanth Reddy, says programmes 'not appropriate' | Delhi Police register FIR in pellet gun case after Rahul Gandhi's sit-in | Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station over CJP protest crackdown, targets Amit Shah | CJP school tour turns chaotic in Jaipur: Cars vandalised, stones pelted as Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP ‘goons’ attack | Vande Mataram row: Kangana Ranaut slams Sharmila Tagore, says ‘come out of Hindu-Muslim mindset’ | Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence

NHRC sends notice to TN government

| | Aug 02, 2014, at 03:57 am
New Delhi, Aug 1 (IBNS): The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Friday said it has sent notice to the Tamil Nadu government on death of 11 people in wall collapse in Thiruvallur last month.
"The National Human Rights Commission has taken cognizance of a complaint that a building's wall collapsed on the 5th July, 2014 at Upparapalayam Village, near Red hills lake in Thiruvallur District, Tamil Nadu in which about 11 construction workers from Andhra Pradesh died and few others were grievously injured. A lot of godowns were constructed without the approval of Local Planning Authority in Red hills area which is a wetland protected under the Wetland Conservation and Management Rules, 2010," the NHRC said in a statement.
 
Justice D. Murugesan, Member, NHRC has observed that the allegations raise a serious issue of violation of human rights and issued a notice on Friday to the Chief Secretary, Government of Tamil Nadu calling for a report in the matter within four weeks.
 
This tragedy occurred within a week from the collapse of Moulivakkam Chennai building in which 61 people had lost life.
 
The complainant has alleged that the Government of Tamil Nadu has miserably failed to protect the life of innocent, oppressed and poor construction workers as its officials allowed illegal constructions by flouting the rules regarding building construction approval, soil test etc.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.